George Plosker & Associates
2003-2006, March 2017 to date
George continues to be engaged in the library/publishing/technology world via select projects, consulting, and writing. Leveraging his extensive experience in information industry account development, marketing, and online products, George can help with:
- Account development strategies and programs
- Define/refine the value proposition for online products in the language of the customer
- Provide product positioning training to sales, client services and product development teams
- Provide original writing for public relations and marketing outreach communications
Client Services Manager
Oct 2006 – March 2017
George Plosker served as a Client Services Manager for the IEEE for more than 10 years. In this position he worked with IEEE clients and prospects to increase usage of IEEE’s online products by creating and renewing awareness of IEEE’s published content and subscription products to audiences worldwide.
Specific responsibilities included training engineers, librarians, end-users, regional sales staff and dealers in effective use of IEEE electronic information products through on-site visits, phone support, email support, and internet conferencing. In addition George represented IEEE at conferences and other information industry events.
Director – Business Development
Feb 2005 – Oct 2006
Worked with publishers and information industry companies on content acquisition, updating and re-engineering projects to enable online distribution and discover.
Thomson Gale (formerly Information Access Co)
Vice President, Content Support & Training
Mar 1993 – Feb 2002
Manage department responsible for search assistance and content support for all market segments. Provide internal support, training, customer and market intelligence to Sales, Marketing, Product Management, Technology, and Production teams.
Dialog Information Services, Inc.
Manager, Los Angeles Region
Apr 1979 – Mar 1993
Responsible for all Customer contact activities including sales, prospecting, account development, training, and marketing, in Southern California and Arizona. Supervised staff of four. District and Territory planning, forecasting, and budgeting; produced monthly newsletter for clients; created and executed targeted mailings and telemarketing campaigns. Advanced Business search specialist.
San Jose State University
MLS, Library & Information Science
B.A. – Communications and Political Science
Activities, Associations, and Honors
- Graduate Assistant, SJSU – 1976
- Beta Phi Mu – Librarianship Honor Society – 1976
- SJSU School of Library and Information Science – Distinguished Alumnus – 2007
- Special Libraries Association – 1982 to date
- Mark H. Bayer Award – 2014
- Lifetime Achievement Award – 2013
- Author Award – 2006
- IEEE – 2006 to date